I first made this Celery, Fennel and Apple Salad back in the summer, and it’s such a simple, palate-cleansing dish that it was quickly added to my summer meal rotation. I figured it’s also perfect for post-holiday dinners: it’s citrusy, cold, and refreshing.
This salad is just one big bowl of crunchy things and a simple citrusy dressing tossed together. It’s meant to be served as part of a meal along with other salads and dishes, so people can take a bit of what they want. I like serving it alongside charred tomatoes with yogurt, meatballs, and couscous (recipe coming soon!), for example. I like to super finely slice the ingredients, but I know a lot of people don’t have the patience for that, so using a mandoline might be a good idea.
Start by trimming and coring the fennel. This is the most difficult part, everything else is extremely easy. If you need some help with that here’s a great video on how to cut up fennel. I like adding walnuts and fresh herbs if I have them on hand, like basil, chives, or parsley. Finish it off with plenty of parmesan shavings – you can also try blue cheese crumbles. The dressing is a very basic vinaigrette that is meant to enhance the flavors.
An Antioxidant-Rich Salad
This refreshing salad is loaded with antioxidants. Fennel is a good source of vitamin C and celery is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, helping reduce cancer risk and lower inflammation. And Honeycrisp apples are rich in fiber and antioxidants. It’s just basically a natural way of cleansing your body! Watch the video below – and follow me on tiktok while you’re at it 😉
If you make this Celery, Fennel and Apple Salad please be sure to leave a comment! I’d love to hear from you and I love responding to every comment. And don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram. I’d love to see your photos!
Celery, Fennel and Apple Salad
- 1 fennel bulb—trimmed, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- Honeycrisp apple—halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced diagonally
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and black pepper
- Parmesan cheese shavings, for garnish
- chopped walnuts, optional
- fresh herbs, such as basil, parsley, or chives, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the celery, fennel, apples, walnuts and herbs, if using, to a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to evenly coat.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Garnish with cheese shavings and serve.