So apparently eggplant is boring and weird, and falls under the “if it tastes bad, it must be good for you” food group. Um, okay I see where you’re coming from, but have you tried Roasted Eggplant with Tahini Sauce? So.. I kinda beg to differ.
Eggplants are sponges that will soak up anything – salt, marinades, oil, so that means they absorb a lot of flavor. They can be a lot of different things and textures: creamy dips, they can be soft or crispy, they can be sautéed, grilled, or fried. They’re just flexible little sponges.
If you happen to have a large, bulbous eggplant, you can bake it whole for about an hour until it collapses into a luscious, soft flesh that’s beautifully caramelised and creamy. Add salt, olive oil, and lemon and it’s all you need, but if you want to take it up a notch, this lemony nutty tahini sauce on the bottom of the plate will certainly elevate it.
Roasted Eggplant with Tahini Sauce
- 1 large eggplant, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Halve the eggplant lengthwise. Using the point of a sharp knife, crosshatch the flesh. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the eggplant cut side up on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, distributing as evenly as possible. Turn over so that the eggplant is cut side down.
- Place in the oven and roast until eggplant is cooked through, golden brown on the bottom, and tender, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add tahini to a medium bowl. Using a whisk, whip the tahini and drizzle in the cold water a little at a time until you have reached your desired consistency. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Smear the whipped tahini onto the bottom of a serving platter. Place the eggplant, cut side up, on top of the sauce. Garnish with fresh herbs (I used cilantro) and serve.
Tips & Tricks: The whipped tahini sauce can be tightly covered and refrigerated for up to 7-10 days.
If you make this Roasted Eggplant with Whipped Tahini Sauce please be sure to leave a comment! I’d love to hear from you and I love responding to every comment. And don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram. I’d love to see your photos!