Inspired by a wonderful trip to Mexico and those insanely good Trader Joe’s hash browns, this has Hash Brown Avocado Toast instantly become my favorite breakfast. It’s got flavor, texture, heat, and despite being a few components and a tiny bit of work, it’s nothing crazy, but completely managable and completely worth it.
Pop the hash browns in the oven, and in the meantime, prepare the salsa, mash the avocado, and make the egg. Assemble the “toast” and that’s it!
One thing I learned when I was in Mexico is that Mexicans love to add extra flavors to their dishes. There’s always a plethora of different sauces and seasonings available. A toast is never really just a toast, a quesadilla is never really just a simple quesadilla. There are layers of flavors and textures, there’s always a little bit of heat, and there’s always an element of freshness. These little additions add so much dimension to a dish, so keep this in mind when making this or any other meal: taste and adjust the flavors as you go. Don’t be afraid to add more salt or more acid if needed.
I highly recommend adding a little bit of heat if you can handle it. I got Trader Joe’s Habanero Hot Sauce and that thing is SPICY – a little bit goes a long way (having said that it’s really good, you should try it). I always like to add fresh herbs to my meals and fresh cilantro is a key element in any Mexican dish, but if you don’t like it, parsley will do just fine. I keep the salsa really simple, because it’s a breakfast dish and there’s no need to make it any longer or more complicated, but feel free to be creative and add whatever you want.
By the way, if you want to make things ever simpler, just forget the salsa: a layer of mashed avocado topped with an over-easy egg sprinkled with everything but the bagel seasoning is amazing, too.
Hash Brown Avocado Toast
- 2 hash brown patties (I used Trader Joe’s – highly recommend!!)
- 1 avocado
- 2 eggs
- 1 tomato, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 lime
- fresh cilantro
- hot sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F. Bake hash brown patties for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the toppings: add the avocado to a small bowl and mash it up with a fork until it’s as smooth as you like it. Add juice of 1/2 lemon, season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine the diced tomato, onion, and juice of 1/2 lemon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and crack the eggs into the pan. Season with salt. Let the eggs cook undisturbed until the whites are almost set. Cover skillet with a lid, and continue to cook over low heat for 1-2 minutes, or until the whites are completely set.
- Assemble the toast: place mashed avocado hash browns, top with egg, salsa, cilantro, and hot sauce. Serve.
If you make this Hash Brown Avocado Toast please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I’d love to hear from you and I love responding to each and every comment. And if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your photos!