So… I know fall is upon us and don’t get me wrong, I’m very excited for spooky season, BUT technically summer isn’t over yet. Summer isn’t over till September 22nd, so I deem this summery salad still very appropriate. And although it’s no longer peak strawberry season, and summer’s local crop is always the best, strawberries are available year-round and this salad is so good, trust me, it works year round too – but it’s also a beautiful end of summer dish.
The flavors here are phenomenal: minty, salty, fruity, peppery. The dressing is inspired by Trader Joe’s spicy honey sauce, but even better because you can adjust to taste, so it can be spicier or sweeter or tart, it just depends on your mood.
Then we have the halloumi. I absolutely love halloumi. It’s a non-melting cheese, so you can pan fry it until golden and crispy on the outside and creamy and soft on the inside. It adds texture and flavor to the salad and drizzled with honey is just perfection. Watercress lends its distinctive peppery taste and soft leafy texture and although you can absolutely try a different leafy green, like spinach or arugula, watercress just works perfectly with all the other flavors going on here.
The crushed pistachios add an extra layer of spicy and the mint leaves make it brighter and fresher. This salad doesn’t just taste amazing, it’s also incredibly nutritious. Watercress contains a plethora of antioxidants, pistachios are a good source of protein and fiber, and mint is a great source of vitamins and minerals.
If you make this Fried Halloumi and Strawberry Salad please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I’d love to hear from you and I love responding to each and every comment. And if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your photos!
Fried Halloumi and Strawberry Salad
- 4 oz halloumi cheese, sliced
- 2 oz watercress
- 1/2 lb strawberries, halved
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup pistachios, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Heat a skillet over medium high. Add olive oil and fry halloumi slices until golden brown, 1-2 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Add honey and red pepper flakes to the same skillet. Bring this to a simmer over medium heat, remove from heat and stir in apple cider vinegar. Cool to room temperature.
- In a serving dish, arrange the watercress. Top with the halloumi, strawberries, mint, and pistachios. Drizzle with dressing. Serve.