This blog has featured a fair amount of banana breads, like this one, or this one. You’d think there’d be enough banana bread recipes at some point, but apparently when it comes to banana bread, the limit does not exist. This Banana Bread with Dates & Coconut in particular, is somewhat of a lovechild of both aforementioned breads. It borrows elements from each, but comes with embellishments all of its own – like coconut. Have you ever thought about how well banana and coconut go together?
Well, I have! And if you’re wondering.. newsflash: it’s a great combo. You might think the dates are irrelevant, and I will agree that they are optional, but they certainly add a lovely texture. When it comes to adding the dates, I’d say measure with your heart.
a few tips
Use extra-ripe bananas: super ripe bananas burst with flavor, and they’re crucial when making banana bread. I used 2 bananas for this recipe, but feel free to use up to 3 bananas, depending on their size.
Storage: If you don’t plan on adding the ganache, you can store it in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 to 4 days. If you do top with the ganache, I recommend keeping it refrigerated. Because this is a butter-based batter, the bread might feel a bit dry after refrigerated, but warm it up in the microwave for about 20 seconds and it’ll go right back to perfectly moist and dense!
This banana bread is not like other banana breads, it flaunts a gorgeous, silky chocolate ganache! Your banana bread is gonna take an entire hour to bake, so you’ll have plenty of time to make a quick ganache – it’s so easy and so worth it, so why not.
Just chop the chocolate, bring the heavy cream to a simmer pour over chopped chocolate. Then whisk until smooth. This ganache has a pourable consistency as opposed to a thick one. You can see what I mean by watching the video below!
Banana Bread with Dates & Coconut
- 2-3 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 4oz chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Beat in the greek yogurt for another minute. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl as needed.
- Add the bananas and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low, slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in coconut flakes and dates.
- Spread batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 60–65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer pan to a wire rack and allow the bread to cool.
- Ganache: Bring heavy cream to a simmer on the stove top. Remove from heat and pour over chopped chocolate. Let sit undisturbed for a few minutes. Whisk until smooth.
- Place cake on a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Pour ganache evenly over the top of cake.
As always, if you make this Banana Bread with Dates & Coconut please be sure to leave a comment! I’d love to hear from you and I love responding to every comment. And don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram. I’d love to see your photos!