These are not Monica’s stinky Brussels sprouts, these Brussels Sprouts With Pancetta and Parmesan Breadcrumbs are far superior – sorry Monica! – allow me to elaborate briefly.
Listen, the reality is brussel sprouts are kinda innately stinky. That’s just who they are! No judgement here, but the intention is to make them somehow better and less.. well, stinky I guess. With that in mind, these Brussels Sprouts With Pancetta and Parmesan Breadcrumbs have a lot of layers: there’s the salty, fatty pancetta introducing lots of flavors, then comes the brussel sprouts: pan fried to crispy perfection; followed by a generous topping of crunchy, rich, cheesy breadcrumbs. Oh and let’s not forget the gentle touch of sweetness provided by a subtle – not so subtle – drizzle of honey. Are you convinced yet??
It’s a great little side dish, perfect for Fall. If you don’t have pancetta bacon is a great substitute. Pancetta is typically used to add depth to pasta sauces, soups, and stews. It has a deep, strong, slightly salty flavor, and it’s fairly fatty. Finely dice it and sauté until crispy. Due to its high fat content the texture is not as pleasant as bacon, so finely diced works best. Having said that, it takes a minute for some of the fat to render out so add a little oil to the pan so the pancetta doesn’t burn.
Other than that, this is just an easy breezy recipe and it’s a keeper. And if you make these non-stinky Brussels Sprouts With Pancetta and Parmesan Breadcrumbs please be sure to leave a comment and/or give it a rating! I’d love to hear from you and I love responding to each and every comment. Don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see your photos.
Brussels Sprouts With Pancetta and Parmesan Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, washed, trimmed, and cut in half
- 2 ounces pancetta, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the breadcrumbs: heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and toast, stirring frequently, until golden – 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and add the parmesan, and parsley. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel. Add a drizzle of olive oil and add diced pancetta. Sauté, tossing frequently, for about 5 minutes. Add brussels sprouts and garlic; sauté until sprouts are browned and tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar, honey and red pepper flakes and cook until sprouts are glazed and tender, about 5-8 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and scatter breadcrumbs on top.
Pingback:Brussels Sprouts With Pancetta and Parmesan Breadcrumbs — from a small kitchen | My Meals are on Wheels