Just an easy way to fancy up your avo toast.
I’m all about healthy fats and I love a big, filling breakfast – specially before hitting the gym. A big fat avo toast has everything I need: good fat, it’s quick and easy, it’s healthy, and the possibilities are truly endless. You know, I’m a millennial so I’m basically genetically programmed to love avocado toast, I don’t even need an excuse.
I’m a big fan of the everything bagel avocado toast, I love topping them with a sunny-side-up egg; I’ve tried them all, I love them all, but my most recent favorite way of elevating my avo toast is so simple but so incredibly flavorful: slow roasted tomatoes.
It doesn’t involve a lot of effort and it’s not that slow: you just pop them in the oven and by the time you’re done with your morning routine they’ll be caramelised and ready to go. It’s so good and it pairs so well with the mashed avocado. Just make sure you have good bread: I love it on challah, and for this one I tried Claire Saffitz’s tahini challah bread and oh my good, it’s incredible. My favourite way of making toast is in a skillet with a lot of olive oil. Is it a little bit extra? Maybe. But trust me, it’s far superior than using a toaster. And you deserve it.
Roasted Tomato and Avocado Toast
- 16 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- olive oil
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 slices bread, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place cherry tomatoes in a single layer on a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tomatoes are blistered and beginning to burst.
- Meanwhile, make the toast: heat a skillet over medium heat. Add a generous amount of olive oil; add the bread to the skillet and fry each side until brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- In a small bowl, add the avocado and mash it up with a fork until it’s as smooth as you like it. Mix in a pinch of salt and pepper, and lemon juice – add more to taste, if desired.
- Spread avocado on top of the toast and top with roasted tomatoes. Serve.
Tips & Tricks: Add a sprinkle of flaky sea salt and chilli flakes.