Peach season is not officially over until late September, and that’s great news because it means you still have time to try this gorgeous Fresh Peach Cake. An Ina Garten’s recipe, it’s truly phenomenal and flawless. The combination of fresh peaches, cinnamon and nuts and a moist, soft batter is absolutely lovely.
The days are starting to get shorter and even though I love seeing pumpkins of all colors and sizes fill the grocery store, it’s hard to say goodbye to summer. I’ve had such a lovely summer, surrounded by friends, nature and delicious seasonal food. I’m already nostalgic for a season that’s barely over, but life goes on, and what am I even talking about. It’s Gilmore Girls season for goodness’ sake. I should be celebrating.
a few tips
Preparing your ingredients is the first step to a successful recipe, specially when it comes to baking. So mise en place: sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon in a separate one, chop the pecans, slice the peaches, and line the baking pan with parchment paper. The whole process will flow so easily from then on. Also, make sure your ingredients are at room temperature.
Beat the butter and sugar until really light and fluffy, then slowly add in the eggs, making sure it’s well combined. The sour cream makes the cake so soft and moist, but you can sub for Greek yogurt.
Finally add the dry ingredients, mixing just enough to combine – you don’t want to develop the gluten. I like serving it with a dollop of homemade whipped cream – optional, but highly encouraged. This cake makes me feel like I’m in a cottage somewhere in Sweden. So get yourself some fresh flower, set the table, and bake your loved ones this lovely cake before summer sips away like a bottle of wine.
Fresh Peach Cake
- 1/4 lb unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 large peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and 1 cup of the sugar for 3 to 5 minutes on medium- high speed, until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on low, add the eggs, one at a time. Add the sour cream and vanilla, and mix until well combined and the batter is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix just until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and the cinnamon.
- Spread half the batter evenly in the pan. Top with half of the peaches, then sprinkle with 2/3 of the sugar mixture.
- Spread the remaining batter on top, arrange the remaining peaches on top, and sprinkle with the remaining sugar mixture and the pecans.
- Bake the cake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
If you make this Fresh Peach Cake please be sure to leave a comment! I’d love to hear from you and I love responding to every comment. And don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram. I’d love to see your photos!