I haven’t shared any breakfast recipes in a while, and if you read this blog you know I’m a breakfast aficionado, so I had to do something about it, obviously. This Browned Butter Sweet Potatoes and Eggs Bowl with Green Tahini looks like a lot of effort, and I’ll admit, I don’t always feel like putting a ton of effort into breakfast, but this one is easy to throw together, and you can also prep ahead of time.
A little secret: I go to the gym five times a week and because of that I eat a lot of carbs, proteins, and calories. And one of my favorite things to do is combining as many sources of healthy fats, carbs, and protein in one dish as I possibly can. Sounds crazy? Ah yeah, you gotta do what you gotta do. So this a great pre or post workout meal! We got eggs: low-carb, low-calorie and low-cost source of protein! Sweet potatoes: healthy carbs! Avocado: healthy fats! Tahini: healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals! Check. Check. Check.
I got the inspiration from the ever-inspiring Tieghan Gerard and you can find the original here. The sweet potatoes take the longest to cook, so start with them, and you can also make extra so you have leftovers for the rest of the week. Roasting the sweet potatoes with butter, honey and chili flakes is something I’ve been doing for years and it’s truly phenomenal. The flavors are incredible together.
put it all together
The green tahini sauce also works great on salads and it’s so easy to put together: add everything into a blender and blend until smooth. It’s so fresh and bright. If you don’t like cilantro, parsley works great, too. Then all you have to is assemble the bowls! I love adding cucumbers, but you can obviously add any fresh produce you have on hand.
And that’s it!
Browned Butter Sweet Potatoes and Eggs Bowl with Green Tahini
- 1 small sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 2 tbsp extra olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 eggs
- fresh cilantro or parsley, for garnish
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeño, halved and seeded, optional
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
Herby Green Tahini
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, combine the sweet potatoes, 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, and pepper. Arrange the potatoes slices on the sheet and transfer to the oven. Roast for 25 minutes, or until for tender, flipping the potatoes over halfway through.
- Drizzle on the honey and 2 tbsp melted butter. Add red pepper flakes. Return to the oven and roast until the potatoes are caramelized, about 10-15 additional minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Combine all ingredients and 1/4 cup water in a blender and blend until completely smooth. If needed, add water to thin the sauce to a drizzling consistency.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet over high. Add the eggs and fry to your desired doneness.
- To serve, divide the sweet potato slices between bowls. Add the eggs, cucumbers, and avocado. Drizzle each bowl with herby green sauce and sprinkle with red pepper flakes and black pepper. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
If you make this Browned Butter Sweet Potatoes and Eggs Bowl with Green Tahini please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I’d love to hear from you and I love responding to each comment. And don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram. I’d love to see your photos!