I wanted to make a summer dinner that was filling, quick, but more importantly, something that had those fresh summery flavours. So here is it: Baked Apricot Chicken.
We have organic chicken thighs, because they’re super flavourful and don’t take long to cook. Then we have bacon and fresh apricots, for that sweet and salty combo that works so well together. You can use peaches here, but I wanted to stick with apricots: they’re just as sweet, but with a tiny punch of sour, and they’re so delicate, but sturdy enough for baking. The longer you cook them, the more soften and caramelised they get. And they caramelize beautifully! Garnish with fresh basil and it’s like summer in your mouth.
Baked Apricot Chicken
- 1.5 lb chicken thighs, boneless
- 5 strips bacon
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 15 fresh apricots
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Slice the onion, chop the garlic and bacon. Slice the apricots.
- Heat an oven safe nonstick skillet over medium. Add the bacon and cook until crispy, 3-4 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, cook for 2 minutes. Transfer to a separate plate.
- Add the chicken and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, combine honey, brown sugar, chili flakes, and vinegar in a small bowl, and whisk to combine. Add apricot slices and toss to coat.
- Add bacon and onions back to skillet ( or transfer everything to a baking dish). Nestle in apricots and drizzle with honey mixture.
- Place aluminum foil on top and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
Tips & Tricks: If you can’t find fresh apricots swap for peaches! Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs also work perfectly and add extra flavour to the dish.
If you make this Baked Apricot Chicken please be sure to leave a comment! I’d love to hear from you and I love responding to every comment. And don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram. I’d love to see your photos!