These homemade lemon and ricotta doughnuts (aka The Best Donuts Ever) are so easy and so incredible, it would be a shame not to share them. Ricotta and lemon might one of the most iconic flavour combos ever, so I’m hardly surprised these are so good. The crisp outside, the tender inside, the fluffiness… there are so many redundant ways to describe these, but we would just reach the same conclusion: they are amazing and deserve to be made.
Don’t be afraid of frying and hot oil, these are so easy and quick to make, it’s worth the trouble. Just be careful and watch them turn golden brown and perfect. Dust with confectioner’s sugar and you’re all done!
PS: I personally believe they are perfect to snack on while watching a cozy movie (read: One Fine Day), on a lazy Saturday afternoon. Preferably when it’s raining. Just trust me on this.
Easy Lemon and Ricotta Donuts – The Best Donuts Ever
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 8 oz ricotta
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- Canola oil, for frying
- Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add sugar, eggs, ricotta, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the oil into a deep, heavy pot. Leave at least two inches of space at the top for safety.
- Fry a test doughnut: Using a small ice cream scoop or a spoon, drop a scoop of batter in and turn it occasionally. It should take 3-4 minutes to turn golden brown. Carefully remove and cut in half to check if it’s cooked all the way through. Test another if needed.
- Fry the remaining doughnuts. Don’t overcrowd the pot; fry in batches. Place doughnuts on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up any excess oil.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar and serve warm.
Adapted from Gale Gand